BBC radio 2

Did you hear our how to guides on Simon Mayo's Radio 2 Drivetime show?

You may have read about Howopia in The Telegraph?

How To Move House

Your rating: None
Moving house can be one of life’s most exciting, but in some cases, daunting experiences – particularly if you haven’t done it for a while! There’s ever-changing legislation to get to grips with, current stamp duty implications and a range of other requirements that come hand in hand with the moving process.
Once you are certain you want to move, choose your agent wisely. Instruct an agent with a good reputation whom you feel will market your home to the best of their ability, and who is a member of The Property Ombudsman scheme and the National Association of Estate Agents.
- If you are selling, be sure to highlight and pass on to your agent details of any outstanding features that first attracted you to your property. Your agent will work this information into the sales details. This could include such things as extra large storage spaces or a dedicated outdoor dining area.
- As a buyer you may have to pay Stamp Duty. This is a Government tax payable on the completion of a property purchase – normally set at between one and three per cent of the purchase price. This can fluctuate, and over the past 18 months, Stamp Duty has been frozen for first time buyers. However, as from the end of March 2012, this Stamp Duty exemption will be axed.
- There are many legal points to consider, but being well prepared may help to speed up the process, from viewings to the eventual sale. - Gather any documents you have that relate to the property, no matter how trivial you think they are. Buyers’ solicitors will expect to see all documents and it could result in delays if they are not provided. Windows installed after 1st April 2002 need FENSA certificates, and any remedial works should have associated guarantees.
- Any previous building work will require copies of the relevant building regulations and planning permissions, as well as the completion certificate for the work.
- By law, an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) – which gives current ratings and information on how to make your home more energy efficient and reduce carbon dioxide emissions – needs to be provided. Your estate agent can arrange this.
Conveyancing is the last hurdle. Put simply, this is the act of legally transferring a property from one person to another, and has, by law, to be carried out by a solicitor or licensed conveyancer.
This should help give you peace of mind and avoid surprises during the process. All you need do now is pack.


Post new comment

This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Featured writers

We have had a chat with a couple of our more experienced writers.

Find out more about their experiences and why they contribute to Howopia.

Spotlight on two writers.

Share this

How To guides

Howopia is a new website dedicated to bringing together a community of experts to create the most useful 'How To' guides, to help you to achieve almost anything.

Related links