BBC radio 2

Did you hear our how to guides on Simon Mayo's Radio 2 Drivetime show?

You may have read about Howopia in The Telegraph?

How To Make Sure Your Car Is Fully Insured Abroad

Your rating: None
According to research by, more than two million British holiday-makers mistakenly believe their motor insurance will give them fully comprehensive cover abroad this year. The truth is that the majority of insurers automatically downgrade their cover as soon as we cross over to the Continent.
Study the small print of your policy to check whether your insurer will automatically downgrade your fully comp policy. Third party cover means you are only covered for injury to other people and their property – not to you or your vehicle.
Many of the big names only offer the minimum cover required by the country you are driving in, and only a handful of insurers offer drivers the same level of cover abroad as in Britain. If there is any doubt, phone your insurance company before you leave home.
Without proper insurance, any damage to your car under third party insurance can leave you with a bill that could run into thousands.
If you are unsure of your position, check whether your insurer will upgrade or add on European car insurance as an extra. For those travelling regularly abroad by car there are specialist policies that have comprehensive cover for European travel as standard.
The majority of breakdown policies are voided once you leave British soil. If you break down abroad, you run the risk of being stranded with the additional problem of getting your vehicle back to the UK. The AA and the RAC provide European Roadside Assistance but this must be arranged before you leave the UK.
If towing a caravan, do make sure that your caravan’s insurance extends to all the countries you intend visiting – i.e. travelling through to get to your destination.
You must carry both parts of your driving licence, plus the original registration and insurance documents for the vehicle when driving in the EU. You are allowed to drive across the borders of EU member countries without any extra documentation.
Remember speed limits differ from country to country
It is a legal requirement to keep a fluorescent jacket in the passenger part of the car in many EU member countries.


Post new comment

This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Featured writers

We have had a chat with a couple of our more experienced writers.

Find out more about their experiences and why they contribute to Howopia.

Spotlight on two writers.

Share this

How To guides

Howopia is a new website dedicated to bringing together a community of experts to create the most useful 'How To' guides, to help you to achieve almost anything.

Related links