BBC radio 2

Did you hear our how to guides on Simon Mayo's Radio 2 Drivetime show?

You may have read about Howopia in The Telegraph?

How to give Notice of Marriage for a wedding

Your rating: None Average: 5 (1 vote)
You may marry at any registration office of your choice in England and Wales. Alternatively, you may want to choose from any of the approved premises (hotels, stately homes, country houses etc.) for your special day. In either case, you will have to give Notice of Marriage at your local registration office. For marriages in the Church of England, Banns should be called during the three months before the wedding. You should contact the vicar but you will not need to contact the registration service and Notice of marriage is not required. For marriages in churches of other denominations, after making a booking with the priest or minister, you will need to contact the registration service to arrange for Notice of Marriage to be given.
What you'll need: 
Proof of your identity and age
Proof of where you live
Proof of your nationality
If you have been married or in a civil partnership, proof of how that ended.
The fee for giving Notice of Marriage
Make a provisional booking at the venue that you have chosen so that you have a date and a time for the wedding.
Contact your local registration office and explain that you would like to give Notice of Marriage. An appointment will be made for you to attend the registration office and they'll list the documents that you will have to take with you. You will need to attend in person and nobody else can do it for you. Both you and your partner will have to visit your local registration office and, depending on where you both live, this may or may not be the same office.
When you give Notice of Marriage, you will be required to produce original copies of all your documents. Photocopies aren't acceptable.
You will have to show proof of your identity and age, which can be a current valid passport or a birth certificate. If you have changed your name by Deed Poll, Change of Name Deed or by Statutory Declaration, these documents will need to be shown as well.
When providing proof of your nationality, again, it could be a current valid passport or a birth certificate but, if you were born after 1st January 1983, it will be a current valid passport OR both a full birth certificate (it will show the names of your parents) and proof of your parent's nationality (either your mother's birth certificate or her current valid passport).
Proof of your home address can be a United Kingdom driving licence, utility bill, bank statement or council tax bill. You should have lived there for at least seven clear days before you give Notice.
If you have been in a previous marriage or civil partnership, you should bring the documents that show that the relationship has ended e.g. a certified decree absolute or a certified death certificate.
When all the details of your identity, age, nationality and home address have been taken, the Notice of Marriage will be printed and you will be asked to check it very carefully before signing it.
The Notice will be displayed at the Register Office for at least fifteen full days in order to give anyone with a legal objection to the marriage to come forward to state their case.
At the end of this period, your Authority for Marriage will be produced and one major step towards your wedding will have been taken.
To get married is an important milestone in your life so it's hardly surprising that the legal requirements mean that you have to produce so much proof that you are in a position to take this life-changing decision.
It's important to remember that you need the originals of all your documents.
Even if you attend the registration office with your partner, you will give Notice of Marriage on your own.
Make sure that you know all your partner's details as well as your own. It's a little like the television show "Mr and Mrs".
Keep in mind that, if you are subject to immigration control, you may still be allowed to get married (after meeting certain requirements) but you will have to give Notice of Marriage in one of the designated register offices in England and Wales.
You may get married if you are over 16 years old but, if you are under 18, you will need the written consent of both your parents or guardians.


Post new comment

This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Featured writers

We have had a chat with a couple of our more experienced writers.

Find out more about their experiences and why they contribute to Howopia.

Spotlight on two writers.

Share this

How To guides

Howopia is a new website dedicated to bringing together a community of experts to create the most useful 'How To' guides, to help you to achieve almost anything.

Related links